Saturday, October 4, 2008

Popsicle sticks From Hjvagar at HGTV

Now at the beginning of this I will tell you - these are the directions from the book. I did make a few adjustments because it just didn't seem right to me. My adjustments did not make my life any easier lol. Take 2 double pages of newspaper. Cut or rip them in 1/2 so you have 4 pages. Stack them on top of each other. Mark 4" down from the top and 3" in from one side and cut. Once it's all cut fold the papers in 1/2 bringing the top 1/2 to the bottom edge. Fold the papers in 1/2 again the same way - top to bottom. Fold the papers in 1/2 a 3rd time but this time bring the left side to the right side of the papers. Take a pencil or a bone folder and crease this fold. This crease will be the center of the popsicle. Open up the last fold and roll one side toward the crease in the middle. Use a clip to hold it in place. Then roll the other side in and clip it. Take masking tape and put it down the crease between the two rolls, around the bottom and up the back between the two rolls. Take off the clips. You can add your hanger now if you want. It said to put your sticks in now but I will add here - up to this point they can be flattened kind of easy so I added more newspaper like paper mache. Once it was dry I made a slit on both sides of the bottom. Then I started putting hot glue inside and shoved the sticks in. Another thing I will add - try to get them as smooth as you can. You end up using more of the diamond dust to hide all those blemishes if you don't. In the book it said to use another layer of colored tissue paper over the newspaper. I didn't have any (just white) so I went ahead and painted them. Let it dry completely. Then I took some glue, put it in a dish with some water (not much, just enough to water it down so it's easy to brush on), brushed it on one side at a time and sprinkled the diamond dust on while it was still wet. Voila - popsicles. I want to make more in different colors. In the book it had them in green, red, yellow and purple. I thought the red and purple looked the best but that's probably because those are my fav flavors lol. Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

No comments: